Below the fold

This bit of newspaper jargon, "below the fold," means something on the front page below the folding across the middle of a broadsheet newspaper so it fits in a newspaper rack on the street corner. Which displays the top-half (above the fold) of the newspaper’s front page. The phrase is being used incorrectly in blogs. Strange that it would be used at all, actually.

In blogs, rare reader Veeshir tells me, it means to click on the "more" where the post stops on the front page. Which takes you "inside" to read the rest of the post. But, in newspaper jargon, that would be taking "the jump," to the "jump page" inside. So a blogger who wants to use the jargon correctly should say "after the jump" instead of "below the fold." But, given the (frequently justifiable) contempt that many bloggers have for newspapers, I don’t imagine the usage is any sort of homage. Maybe that’s why it’s been redefined.

0 responses to “Below the fold

  1. As far as I’m concerned, I never thought about it.
    I just did what I’ve seen others do before me.
    I have to agree, now, that “after the jump” have been more correct, but I still like “below the fold”, because hitting “more” is like unfolding the page.
    And that’s the way it is now.
    I’ll have to see if any use “after the jump”. I don’t think so.
    That could also be because of Patterico’s efforts against the LA Times, nobody wants to be associated with “after the jump”.
    Of course, my knowledge of how the intertubes works rivals my dog’s. I’m just better at “clicking” and typing.
    He’s a hunt and peck sort of typist.

  2. Indeed, we follow each other. It’s a new medium for a new day. Time for new definitions.

  3. Yep, I vote for “below the fold” too. It sounds somehow professional. For perennial amateurs it counts, I guess.